January 11, 2013

The Power of SMC Alumni

Hello! I know I haven't blogged in a while, but I've been busy relaxing! I've had a great break & I've loved seeing my family, hanging out with my friends, and sleeping in (all things I don't get to do much while at school).


This school break I've also been focusing a lot on securing a summer internship. I've mainly been researching interesting internship opportunities through SMC Joblink and other public job sites, but I've also been talking to various alumni about their experiences in the business world. Through the Career Services department SMC students can get a list of alumni in specific industries and locations who are willing to help current students. I got a list of alumni in business & marketing in the Boston area & the alumni I've talked to have been extremely helpful!


So far I've spoken with about 8 alumni and each of them have given me advice about how to market myself, what companies would be a great fit for me, and how to succeed in the business world. I've also gotten to hear about their jobs and career paths and how their education at Saint Michael's College has helped them. The most incredible part is that these alumni are so willing to help! Several alumni have promised to help me secure an internship at one of my dream companies and have told me to keep in touch about interning at their companies next summer. I've talked to alumni who have started their own companies, are CFOs, or have become Vice Presidents. It's inspiring to see that there are so many opportunities and that the Saint Michael's community extends beyond our small Vermont campus.



I return to school this Sunday and while I'm excited to see my friends and start new classes, I'm certainly going to miss being home. As always, shoot me an email if you have any questions - I'm happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment