February 10, 2013

Snow, Speech Contest, & Weekend Relaxing

Happy Sunday!

I've had a crazy week (I meant to blog but I just didn't have time!) but I've had a fun, relaxing weekend and I'm ready to get a lot done this week. I have another busy week coming up (a project, test , group work, and case study analysis all due this week) but we have Friday off so I'm going home to see my parents for the weekend which will be awesome!


So about my week...

Nothing too exciting early in the week, I just a bunch of homework to do. I also worked on my speech all week for the speech contest on free enterprise and entrepreneurship on Friday. On Wednesday I essentially re-wrote the speech after realizing that the majority of it didn't make sense, then I practiced like crazy on Wednesday and Thursday night.

All week we heard about the massive snow storm that was coming our way and on Thursday night it started to snow...then didn't stop until Friday evening. It didn't snow TOO much but I was worried the speech contest might get cancelled!


Campus looks gorgeous with all the snow!


Finally on Friday I got ready for the speech contest, which started at 4:30. Two of the three judges ended up being unable to attend due to the snow, but several professors were there (including the business department chairperson, Professor Letovsky, and my advisor, Professor Popovich). I also had a couple friends come to cheer me on!

Now the good news...I won the speak off! After we gave our speeches the judge and professors discussed for a bit and then announced the winners. I was SO EXCITED because, not only did the winner get a cash prize, but also got the chance to attend the 'Free Enterprise Olympics,' a contest held at SUNY Plattsburgh in March between seven schools. Saint Mike's already has a team of seniors attending the contest, but now I get to join the team! The contest will happen on a Friday next month and the day will begin with the speak-off winners giving their speeches again in the final round of the speech contest. After that the teams will have the day to participate in a creativity contest. While the details of the contest are unknown, essentially we'll be solving some type of business problem. I'm beyond excited that I get to go to SUNY Plattsburgh for this contest; I can't wait!






Besides speak-off fun, I've had a pretty mellow weekend. I've mostly been getting some homework done, sleeping in, watching TV, and catching up on some other work, like applying for internships and working on my study abroad application. Like I said, we have a short week coming up, then I'll be going home for the long weekend to see my parents and chill at home.

In a few weeks I'll start giving more tours, which is so fun! I love giving tours, especially during spring semester. I love when students have gotten accepted to Saint Mike's and are getting excited about college. It's great because the long, hard application process is over and now students just get to pick which school they want to attend (which is hopefully SMC!).

Anyway, I am off to do some more homework! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Email me or shoot me a tweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment