September 22, 2013

Loving Classes - Negotiations, Marketing, Finance, & Entrepreneurship

Happy Sunday!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I had fun hanging out with my friends and getting some homework done.

Just kidding, but I do love that show!

I thought I'd blog this week about the classes I'm taking this semester. Although I'm a business major, I usually take a range of classes to try and fulfill my LSR's (liberal studies requirements - classes like history, math, foreign language, etc.). This semester, though, I'm taking four business classes and I love it!


Negotiations:
This classes meets Monday & Wednesday at 8am, which is a little early for me. However, this is the BEST CLASS EVER so I don't even mind the early start time!

This course is taught by Professor Brosh Teucher, whom I met last year when he judged a speech contest that I competed in. I've loved his class so far; he always gets a good discussion going and I love learning how to become an effective negotiator. Professor Teucher is also very accomplished; he's taught at several colleges, but most recently taught at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.

In this class, we receive "roles" which we need to review over the weekend in order to negotiate with a classmate on Monday. Then, on Wednesday the negotiation results go up on the board and we discuss our negotiation tactics and how to improve. It's been such a fun class so far and I feel like I'm learning a ton.


Entrepreneurship:
This class meets every Monday, Wednesday, & Friday at 9:45am. It's a cool class because it takes everything I've learned in other business classes and applies it to real problems. For example, lately we've been using different ratios (which measure liquidity, profitability, efficiency, etc.) to measure the financial health of a business. It's fun seeing how everything I'm learning is actually applicable.

This course it taught by Professor Birger Benson, who's also quite accomplished. He got his MBA at Harvard Business School and then owned his own business for several years before teaching at Saint Mike's.


Advanced Topics in Marketing:
This class meets every Monday & Wednesday at 1:30pm. So far this is a cool class; although I'm interested in working in politics, I'd also love to work in marketing. I love learning some some advanced marketing strategies.

This class is taught by Professor Robert Letovsky. I met Professor Letovsky last year when I went to SUNY Plattsburgh for the Free Enterprise Olympics. He also helped me get funding to attend a summer economics seminar at Clemson University. Professor Letovsky is a very fun teacher and I've heard great things about his classes.

In this class, we have a couple long-term projects. For one of them we'll be using an online marketing simulation. We'll be put into a team of students and together we'll need to decide on a marketing strategy for our company. Then, our company will earn or lose money, our stock price will increase or decrease, etc. depending on our marketing moves. For second project we'll be analyzing an actual company. For this, my group is analyzing Apple and their launch of the iPhone 5C & 5S. Both these projects sound really fun and I'm excited to get started!

Finance:
This class meets Tuesday & Thursday at 11:30am. I wasn't thrilled that I had to take finance, but so far I really like this class. It's fun using what I've learned in accounting and then branching off to learn more complex things.

This class is taught by Professor Diane Lander. She makes class fun and she's awesome about having office hours. I've already stopped by for help on a few homework problems, and she's encouraged me to keep coming by. I've heard good things about her classes, so I'm excited for the semester.


That's all for now! I'm also busy gearing up for study abroad next semester & I'm starting to look at grad schools. Besides that, I'm a weekly tour guide this semester, I'm still a mentor through MOVE, and I'm still running Her Campus with my friend & fellow blogger Lauren Mazzoleni. I've also been volunteering for Massachusetts State Senator Karen Spilka and her Campaign for Congress. I've been making phone calls to constituents, which has been fun but time-consuming! I've just been so busy this semester!


Just a reminder that we have a Knight Chat this Wednesday at 7:30pm! I definitely encourage prospective students to attend; it's a great way to ask questions about SMC and learn about our experiences here!

If you have any questions, feel free to email!

No comments:

Post a Comment