December 7, 2011

Answering Questions from Prospective Students


"Hi Alex! I'm really interested in St. Michael's, and I was just in a chat with some students from St. Mike's and when I asked about the Elementary Education Major, they directed me to you! I just checked out your blog, and I figured I'd get in touch with you! My main question for you is if you found the major to be too overwhelming with the double major that's required?

Also, I was wondering what made up your mind to decide to go to St. Mike's?! It's definitely in my top 3, but it's pretty far from home. (I live right outside of Philadelphia!) I absolutely loved, loved, loved the vibe that I got when I visited, but it's so hard to make a decision!

Hope to hear back from you soon! :)"




Hey Jenna! SO great that you're interested in Saint Mike's!

About the education major, I haven't actually taken an education class yet. The first education class available to students is in the Spring semester of their freshman year. Since I'm considering switching majors (there's just so many things I'm interested in studying, I can't decide yet!) I'm not taking an education class next semester.

But back to your question about double majoring, there are a lot of classes to fit in. Depending on your second major, if you plan on studying abroad, and which foreign language class you place into, you may not have a lot of time for extra classes. But, when you declare an education major, you get a WONDERFUL advisor! The education professors are great, and I've only heard amazing things about them. Also, all education majors create a "four year plan", which consists of manilla folders and color coded sticky notes (each of which lists a class you need to take during your Saint Mike's college career). Then you plan out your four years at school by organizing the sticky notes. It sounds a little confusing and silly, but it's tremendously helpful. My advisor helped me make my "four year plan" and helped me decide which classes to take next semester.

SO basically, after that extremely long description of the education program, the double major is a lot of work. However, it's totally managable and you have tons and tons of help from the extremely wonderful education department.


 About why I chose Saint Mike's - the list is endless! When I toured Saint Mike's during my senior year (one of only three schools I toured) I absolutely fell in love with it. Like you, I totally loved the vibes and it felt so friendly and community oriented. SMC was one of my top picks, but UVM was my number one. But then, the more I thought about it, the more I loved Saint Mike's! After getting accepted, I started reading some of the blogs and found so many reasons to love SMC - the friendly people, the incredibly caring professors, the abundance of Christmas decorations, the crazy amounts of clubs, and the chance to spend four years on a beautiful campus where I felt at home from the moment I arrived. Even though I didn't realize it at first, since I toured the school, I just kind of had this feeling that Saint Michael's was the school for me.


I live in Massachusetts, about four hours from Saint Mike's. It's definitely closer than Philidelphia, and I've been able to go home for every long weekend or vacation, but I know plenty of students who live much farther away - in fact, my roommate is from Nepal! Students who live across the country or are foreign students don't have the opportunity to go home every vacation. Some of these students have a problem with this and I know one that plans on transferring, but most kids are happy to visit a friend's house during the Holidays or spend the long weekend on campus.




I totally get how hard it is to choose a college! But I'm really glad that you loved Saint Mike's (because I love Saint Mike's too!), and I wish you the very best luck in your college search! I hope my incredibly long answers actually answered your questions, but if you're curious about anything else, don't be afraid to ask! Best of wishes!


Send me any questions you might have via Facebook, Twitter, or Formspring!

No comments:

Post a Comment