October 1, 2011

Freshmen First Year Seminar :)



Happy Weekend Everyone!

Hope your school year is going great! I apologize for not blogging in a while, but my classes have been so busy lately! But finally I can tell you all about them in the next week or so!

The very first class I want to tell you all about is my Freshmen First Year Seminar. Every freshman is required to take one of these classes (either your first or second semester). There's a whole bunch of classes you can choose from, but all are small (about 15 kids each) and are writing intensive. I think they're a great way to get to know a professor & some other freshmen, as well as get used to college-level writing.

MY first year seminar is called 'Horses and Healing' and it's taught by Professor Bridget Kerr. This class is SO MUCH FUN! We learn a lot about the connection between horses and humans, and we also learn about our bond with nature. We meet every Tuesday and Thursday, and most Thursdays we have an extended class in which we drive to a local horse farm and help with a therapeutic riding program. It's so fantastic!

Now, when I attended a Summer Registration Day in July (see my previous post about this here) I did not get into the 'Horses and Healing' FYS like I wanted. I emailed the Professor, explained why I wanted to get into her class so badly, and was put on a waiting list. Then I waited through July...and August...and then as classes were about to start, I was still stuck on the waiting list. While I wasn't upset about this, I was so disappointed! So, during the first week of classes, my friend Merrill (who also desperately wanted to get into the class) and I went to Horses and Healing. We just went to the class, introduced ourselves to Professor Kerr, and sat in for the day. Afterwards, Professor Kerr was convinced that we were so interested in the class that she added an extra spot and allowed us both to join!

So now, a little over a month into school, I'm absolutely loving this class! When we're at SMC on Tuesdays, we have great discussions & have a lot of fun! We talk about so many different topics, journal before each class, and watch a few videos. The last one that we watched was about dancing with horses. A little bit of a strange topic...but pretty interesting none the less.

I also love our professor. Professor Kerr actually teaches writing at Saint Mike's, but she's a lot of fun. She's very chill and she's so excited about this class that you can't help but feel the same way! This is the fist year that 'Horses and Healing' has been offered, and she created the class herself. She's done a great job of making it unique, hands-on, and really really interesting.

Thursdays are my favorite day of the week. I love going to the farm, helping out, watching some lessons, and seeing the horses! But farm days aren't all that glamorous. We do a lot of chores that vary from grooming a horse (so much fun!) to stacking hay, to mucking out stalls (my wonderful job two weeks ago). But no matter what we do, it's great just to get away from campus and get to see the super sweet horses. Somehow we always find a minute to say hi to them.

Last week I took some great pictures at the barn! Despite the rain, it was a lot of fun.


Bunnies! There's so many animals at the farm.


Gabby, John, and Allie up in the hay loft.


SO MUCH hay!


The barn!


There are a couple barn cats around. This one's sleeping in one of the stalls. So cute!


I swear he posed for this picture.


Catherine!


It's Casey!


Hannah & Susannah showing some love!


And this is all of us!


Hope you all have a super relaxing weekend! I love bragging about SMC, so ask me about anything! Find me on Twitter!